Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Yard Sales

"One man's junk is another man's treasure" (or woman in this case) Can I just say that I LOVE going to yard sales and thrift stores. I could spend hours browsing around the DI. Granted, you do find a lot of "junk" but there is always something there that I want and I don't feel too guilty buying it because it is so cheap.
This summer I really hit the yard sales hard, almost every weekend that we were around and didn't have anything going on in the mornings. I have found so many fun things for my daycare that they kids just love. It is really cute on Monday morning when they find the new surprise you hear - oh Mrs Caryn where did you find this, can I play? It is great!
A sad day happened when our TV downstairs passed away. For days I kept trying to revitalize it, doing some chest compressions and what ever I could think of to make it come back to life, but finally I had to come to grips that it was gone for good. We have already spent too much money in the past trying to repair it so to the garage it went. Troy and I hit the yard sales hard that next weekend (searched the paper and highlighted our planned route). We found an even BIGGER TV for only $25. We had to get rid of our entertainment center as well. The TV was just a couple of inches too big to fit in the opening. Oh well that will soon be in the garage next to the dead TV.
OK, now my most prize possession this summer from going to yard sales is my salsa maker. We were camping with Grandpa Doman at Elko and he made the best salsa and he used this little salsa maker that ground everything up really fine, just the way I like it. The very next weekend, guess what I found...

I love this thing and have made salsa almost every weekend since. I don't know what I am going to do when the roma tomatoes go up in price over the winter and when I can't pick them from the garden. I will have the winter salsa blues I guess.

3 comments:

Emma said...

Love fresh salsa, yum yum.

MoMmY k:-) said...

that looks exactly like a tupperware toy I have never used...maybe you'll have to give me your salsa recipe

corrie said...

My favorite salsa right now is Paul Newmans Pineapple salsa! Oh my. I love the sweet stuff. So good!