Monday, December 29, 2008

Grandpa Doman's Bday Party

On December 6th, we drove up to Idaho Falls to meet at Chuck-a-Rama for a birthday party for Grandpa Doman. Pretty much all of the Doman side of the family was there and it was fun to visit as we have not made the trip up there for quite some time. This is the first time that they have seen Kynleigh and it is kind of sad that grandpa may not even remember her. Alan had everyone stand up and share a memory that they had with Grandpa. It was very touching to hear and be reminded what an amazing man and example he is to us all. He truly exemplified the Savior in all he did in his life.
On the slide show below I intrusted my camera to Collin and he was quite the photographer (you will notice that most of the pictures are of the little cousins)
Here is what Troy wrote and shared.
Some of my most favorite memories with Grandpa Doman are the many different opportunities I had to sit next to him out in his shop and hand him tools or put more firewood in the stove or other various tasks. Sometimes I would just sit there want watch. I liked it when he was welding, that was my most favorite thing.
I also remember getting in his truck and just driving down the road and talking. We would talk about tractors and other farm equipment. He would always tell me that "they don't make them like they used too" In fact I remember one time Grandpa and Grandma Doman were in the van with dad and mom and all the kids. We were just driving down an old country road when all of a sudden Grandpa Doman told my dad to stop the Van....he thought he saw something. We stopped the van and Grandpa walked out into this field about 25 yards off the road and stopped in front of this really old truck that had a big flat bed. He looked at it for about 5 minutes and then he turned to the rest of the family (we followed him out of the van) and said " I used to own this and I sold it about 30 years ago to old such and such" I can't believe I recognized it.....we all couldn't believe he recognized it. It was really cool to see Grandpas eyes light up and we took a bunch of pictures of him standing on the running boards.
Another memory I have of Grandpa is when Caryn and I were just married we used to try and find any reason we could to drive up to Idaho Falls and just hang out with family and visit. One time we went up to see him and grandma just right after Tyler had burned his hands. Tyler’s hands were wrapped really well in gauze and so you couldn't see what his hands looked like. We had lots of pictures though and so we all gathered around the kitchen table and pulled out the pictures. Grandpa took Tyler and held him in his lap and started to look at the pictures. He could see the scared hands and the horrible blisters that had to be cut off and all the skin that had been burned so badly it was a pure white color. He then just took Tyler’s hands and put then next to his face and wept. I'll never forget how he seemed to communicate to Tyler how sorry he was that Tyler had that happen to him. You got the feeling that Grandpa would have done anything in his power to have taken that pain away. It is the greatest showing of compassion I have ever seen someone show.

Of course I have a million more memories I could share but these are the ones that stick out.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I love those stories about Grandpa Doman. I always hear such amazing things about him and what a wonderful man he's been in his life.