Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years 2009

This year we went to the Unsicker’s home for a New Years Eve party. Normally this party if for their kids and their friends. Last year Tyler and I went and there were easy 50-75 teenagers there. This year, 2 of their kids are on missions so it was very low key, mainly just some families in the neighborhood. This is a great family who really knows how to throw a party and have fun. They have a home that is amazingly fun for all ages. We started out playing bunko (a dice game for those who have never played it before like me) and then we went downstairs where they have a full size basket ball hoop and a full size wrestling mat. Instead of wrestling, in the circles we play 4 squares. There was a long line including several children and we had a blast. I even made it to be the “Queen” for a few rounds (that dream never lasts too long). We then went upstairs where they have 2 ping pong tables and some video games. We played around the world, or attempted with the kids.

After we rang in the New Year, Sundee made breakfast, waffles, hash browns and omelets with all the fixings. Soon after breakfast Tyler found a little spot upstairs and fell asleep and Brieanna looked like she was going to enter the spirit world. It was rough for them I think knowing that they had to get up in a couple of hours to do the paper route. Brad Unsicker offered to help (actually insisted) so at 2:30 he and Tyler went and did half the route and Troy and Brieanna did the other half. They breezed through it really fast. Now the kids want him to help everyday.

New Years Day we drove down to Wendy’s house to watch football. During this visit, Wendy did an Indian Ceremony to ward out all the bad spirits from 2008 and invite good luck for 2009. I think she was a little disappointed with her grand kids for not participating in this sacred ceremony. It was just too much fun to watch. The pipe you see is a piece of drift wood from Canada. That is a popular thing to do with the Doman's is to smoke drift wood.

Chief Indian Wendy


Chief with her Indian warriors

Video of ceremony

In the car driving to West Jordan we had a little lesson about goals and the importance of them. We each set a personal, spiritual, educational and family goal for 2009. I hope the kids will learn the importance of goal setting and learn to enjoy working toward goals in life and experience the felling of accomplishment when they reach their goals.

I hope that the New Year of 209 brings you much happiness and lots of great memories.

8 comments:

MoMmY k:-) said...

wow...is she really smoking?

Becky said...

Ummm...Wendy's crazy. But that's why we all love her!

It sounds like you are off to a fantastic 2009! Good things the evil spirits are gone.

wendy said...

I have even convinced myself that I need to be committed!!!!!!

Doman Family said...

Laura, No she is not technically smoking. it is a piece of drift wood from Canada. I have even smoked that so it is leagle, but fun.

Emma said...

Mom your the best for those of us that now you we love and understand you! And I will come and visit you in the looney bin.
Nice camera work Caryn sorry I wasn't thier.

Trent said...

Dear chief lady buffalo hump:

I think we need to take a closer look at the drift wood and make sure you were not smoking drift WEED.
If that ceremony did not scare away the evil spirits, I am sure they died of laughter.

cally said...

Oh my holy heavens.

I have not laughed that hard in forever!! My cheeks hurt.

If there is a way I could steal that video and blog it for all to see, I will. It must be known.

I can't stand it.

Peace in the land.

cally said...

And strawberries.